Ever wonder why so many people like to take cruises in their retirement?
Some people refer to a “retirement cruise” as a cruise they will take shortly after they retire. Maybe it will be their one and only cruise. It is a big thing and something to look forward to. Just make sure you take a least a 7 day cruise and not a 3 or 4 day cruise, which in my opinion is really not enjoyable at all. All your time is spend getting settled in and then start packing. So do at least a 7 day cruise or a 10 day cruise is even better.
But why are so many people really die hard cruisers in their retirement. You know the people who take one cruise after another, maybe 3 or 4 a year.
It’s like a travel bug that bites you and you just got to have more. What’s the big attraction?
Cruising in Retirement
1. Taking a cruise is nice because you just pack and go. Once on ship you can do as little or as much as you want to but you don’t have to repack or catch a bus or change hotel rooms. That’s convenient and people like it.
2. Meeting and talking with new people is interesting and enjoyable. You have plenty of time on a cruise ship and everyone is open to talking with you at meals, at the pool or anywhere around the ship. We have met some very interesting people on every cruise and people are so nice.
3. The food is really good. You can try new foods you don’t normally try. You can go formal dining or casual. Fixed seating or anytime dining. You can visit the many specialty restaurants.
4. There is always something to do. During the day there are many activities and games, entertainment around the ship or just watch the waves and the flying fish if you are lucky. Grab a chair and people watch. Share a drink at the bar. At night there is special entertainers like singers, ventriloquist, and magicians. Then several shows each cruise with the ships singers and dancers which are excellent.
5. Oh there are destinations to visit too. Take one of the ship’s excursions or just get off the ship and walk around. Many cruisers set up their own excursions in advance over the Internet. Or just enjoy seeing them from the ship! Here is a picture I took from the ship of Antigua last week.Antiqua
6. Take a class. The photo below is my wife Mary Ann taking a cook class aboard the Celebrity Equinox this year. There are classes for dancing, learning musical instruments, healthy living, computers and more.
7. There is always something to see from the ship like the Manhattan sky line on this photo I took last week. I have seen flying fish, whales, Russian MiG plane, rainbows, 25 foot waves, beautiful islands, coatlines, mountains, skies and moonlights on the sea.
8. Relax by one of the pools or in the deck chairs all around the top levels of the ship. On the middle level decks there are plenty of chairs and tables to sit and people watch and look out the window at the views. Movies Under The Stairs is a big hit. Pick up card and table games are all over and you can check out the games from the ship’s library or bring your own.
9. Cruising is fun. We don’t live forever, have some fun! These people are having fun taking a dance lesson on ship.
Taking a cruise will give you many good memories. Planning a cruise is awesome too. Give it a try and you many just like it so much you will become one of us frequent cruisers!